Friday, April 12, 2013

Minimum Wage part One

As I got ready to go to my job tonight, where I make minimum wage, compensation and tips, I saw that the US Department of Labor was flooding my twitterfeed. Naturally, I looked at it, and saw that they were talking about minimum wage, and the increase. They had a bunch of people telling their stories about their life living at or below minimum wage. Claims that you cannot raise a family on minimum wage, and other things of the sort. Well, I am here to say that, that's the point! The point of minimum wage is to provide you enough money to support yourself while you attend college, get an education, and once you receive your Bachelors degree, get a salary job. Not remain on minimum wage all your life.

I am an advocate for an increased minimum wage, do not get me wrong, but I do not support making minimum wage high enough for someone to live comfortably. You should not, and never should you, be able to have  a comfortable living off of minimum wage. If you do, than you are content on having virtually nothing and living in poverty. Wake up people! YOU NEED TO GO TO COLLEGE AND GET AN EDUCATION SO THAT YOU CAN GET A SALARY JOB, NOT DEPEND ON THE GOVERNMENT AND MINIMUM WAGE TO PROVIDE FOR YOU! There was only one story that was posted by the DOL that actually impressed me, and that was of a gentleman named Jose, who owns a small business.

People, opening and operating small businesses is what we as Americans need to do! We need to open businesses. Become business owners. Let competition flourish! How do you keep a stable capitalistic economy? You keep competition! Perfect competition is so very important. If you can keep large companies, say WalMart, to keep their prices low because of competition, than you no longer have WalMart being a price setter! Instead, you make WalMart a price taker! Open your eyes! Every single student should take classes in business management! Even if it's not your major. You will benefit from opening a business and running it properly! You will be able to get people to have patronage at your business if you do business correct!

Example. A person opens a resturant similar to that of Chilis. Chilis sales their fajita trio at 15 dollars a plate. Their chicken is ABYSMAL. It's bland. Has absolutely no flavor. All the smaller resturant  has to do is offer the same fajitas, with the chicken better tasting, and at a lower price, say 12 dollars a plate, and BAM in order for Chilis to compete, they have to drop their price, and make their chicken taste better! Principals of Business.

Anyways, I will most definitely return to this when I am able to, I am not done with this rant.

No comments: