Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Minimum wage part two

Now that I've gotten some time, between classes and all, I've come to decide its time to finish this rant.

I recently attended a job fair at my college. I talked to several people, which is what you're supposed to do. I learned a lot, such as the availability of entry level NON-MINIMUM wage jobs, such as call center jobs, which seems to average around 10 to 12 dollars an hour, and do not require any formal training. I was able to apply for a job in risk management with a bank, at a call center, that required nothing more than a high school diploma or GED.

I also talked to a lady from a company called Primerica. Primerica is an insurance company that offers exclusively term life insurance, which being certified in Texas to sale people life insurance, I can honestly say is the best of the two types of life insurance. Employees at Primerica only need to be atleast 18 or older, and have no felonies, have 100 dollars to apply for an IBA, individual business application, and be able to take and pass your states life license exam, which Primerica trains you to pass, and then reimburses you when you pass! Now, you don't make base pay with them, but you make commission on sales of insurance. Another thing Primerica helps with are investments. They have a policy called but term, invest the difference. What that means is people who overpay for crappy investments called whole life insurance, get more affordable term life, than invest the difference in a higher return investment account, such as an IRA, Roth IRA, annuity, or other accounts.

Entry level position, no training prerequisites, and holy crap you can make as much money as you want, by just talking to people. Need help finding a Primerica agent? Let me know, I have contacts.

So, how can anyone on earth tell you that they can't find a higher paying job, when all you have to do is go to a job fair, have copies of your résumé, and talk to people? You can not make money without effort. That's why I don't necessarily like minimum wage. It's like a farm subsidy. People who don't need them can get them, so, why the hell not take advantage of opportunities like that?

I know people who don't need financial assistance for school, but as long as they can qualify for it, they get it. I don't blame them. I don't necessarily like it.

All I'm saying is, there are more than one way to get money working minimum wage, and more than just minimum wage jobs available, you just have to get your ass on the ball and actually put in the effort.

When I had my rant on the economy, I may have touched on this, but if you want to increase the minimum wage, than you have to give businesses reason to keep and hire people, otherwise all you do is inflate money value more, increase unemployment, and make businesses raise prices to compensate for lost profit. Simple economics says that is what will happen.

Moral of the story: go to school, become a business major, open a business, and generate income that way, or take advantage of the welfare system as long as you possibly can, until they make it impossible for you to keep getting welfare, and than roll over and find something new to do. I suggest the former because that's how you become successful in life financially.

No comments: